Re: [TCML] Secondary with Carbonized Spots

 Derek,

When I had this problem, I removed those bottom turns up to the burned point and
slightly beyond the blackened area underneath the wire (assuming the area below is
blackened).  If the coil is wound on a PVC form, then the area beneath will
likely be blackened (carbonized).  If blackened, then I used a razor blade to scrape
away all the carbon, then I spliced a new piece of wire onto the existing wire,
using the "bevel-splice" method, and then I rewound the bottom area with the new wire.
Next, I re-coated the entire secondary with a suitable clear coat material.

Another approach is to remove just about 1/2" of the winding where it's burned,
and clean away the carbon on the form, then splice the wires together, and
leave the 1/2" gap in the winding, which doesn't seem to matter for the coil's
operation.

Before you start removing any windings, be sure there's at least enough of a coating
to hold the wire so it doesn't all start springing loose.  Or put some heavy tape
at the ends of the windings that you wish to preserve, until you've finished the repair,
and re-coated the winding.

Cheers,
John