Re: [TCML] Source for copper hardware

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the crimper endorsement. I notice a bunch of these for sale on Ebay at lower prices so that's also an option

Dave

At 08:19 AM 4/1/2010, you wrote:
I'm a Harbor Freight tools nut and own way too many of their tools, including this hydraulic crimper. I caught it on sale a couple of weeks ago and couldn't resist. If you buy it, I do not think you will be at all disappointed. It isn't on sale now and I do think the price is a bit high when not on sale. If you aren't in too big of a hurry, though, they usually put the same things on sale periodically and if you keep you eyes out, you will most likely see it go on sale again.
Paul
Think Positive

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Leddon" <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:48 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Source for copper hardware

Jim,
You've got a couple of really good suggestions here. I have everything needed to do silver brazing, except the bottles, which I can retrieve the next time I'm in Las Vegas. So this would be a no cost solution. However, there is one undesirable aspect of soldering lugs that might also apply to brazing. Solder can wick up the wire and inch or two resulting in an inflexible cable near the termination. A small thing but it always bugged me. And then there's the damage to the insulation which could be great at brazing temperatures. Your other suggestion that I get the connections crimped at my local welding store has great merit since I usually buy my lugs there anyway. But maybe the best solution, since I seem to be fabricating a lot of heavy-duty cables lately, would be to buy one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66150

Dave