From: Phillip Slawinski <pslawinski@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Apr 1, 2010 9:23 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] How Important is Location?

Gary,
You could just use a DRSSTC, or other solid state coil.  This avoids the gap
djustment problem all together.
-Phillip Slawinski
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 07:51, Lau, Gary <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx> wrote:
> To make the mechanical adjustment is easy.  The thing that's difficult is
 to know when the adjustment is right.  If one was trying to determine if
 longer sparks result from operating at a higher altitude, it would be
 crucial to have the gap adjusted to the identical breakdown voltage.  The
 method that is (or should be) used to set the gap width is to have it just
 start to arc when only the NST is connected to the gap.  But performance
 will always improve with increasing gap width and breakdown voltage, and I
 suspect that setting the gap 10 times would result in 10 different breakdown
 voltages.  This is OK for just setting up a coil, but to definitively answer
 if a coil makes bigger sparks at high altitudes, careful measurement is
 needed.

 Regards, Gary Lau
 MA, USA