Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 10:47 AM
Subject: RE: [TCML] transformer theory questions

Hi David,

I had thought about the possibility of eddy current losses, but I also recall seeing some cores having a weld tying all of the laminations together, clearly shorting the laminations. It may be that to get eddy currents, the laminations may need to be shorted in two different places? I don't recall if the welded cores I've seen had a single bead or not, and it's unclear if a hack saw hack job would also short in multiple places. But "don't do it" is surely the safest course of action!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA,  USA