Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Looking for pulse cap

Herr Zapp,

I've been discussing igbt current limits with Steve Ward who felt that 2400 Amps should be the upper limit for my CM600 bridge. The operating frequency of my coil is 37 khz with a tank capacitance of 0.5 mfd. At that frequency the impedance of the cap is 8.6 ohms and so at 2400 amps that works out to 20647 volts. My present MMC array consists of three strings of 12 each 942C8W2K-F capacitors 2 mfd at 850 vdc, 360 vac which limits me to something less than 1000 amps. Steve suggests using the peak value of the ac rating to insure longevity, which in this case would be 509 volts. Using this conservative peak rms voltage rating I would require 11 strings of 41 each of the 942C8W2K-F caps for a total of 451 and at about $5 each that works out to $2255. I could save a little bit my using the 940C8W2K-F which has a 450 v rms rating and slightly lower cost but the bottom line is that the single surplus pulse cap is bound to be the better deal.

Regards,
Dave