Re: [TCML] primary-secondary tuning

Hi Brian,

    Please, before you complete your 200 KV+++ project,  get some basic
theory under your belt of how and why Tesla Coils do what they  do, including
the safety sections.
Now, to answer some of the specific questions:
the 430+ KHz is the resonant frequency without any topload, while the 230+
KHz is the frequency with the topload in place. The significance of these
numbers is that maximum power transfer requires L1C1=L2C2,
and Fres= 1/[2*pi*sqrt(LC)].on each side.
A 15 KV NST has normal peak voltage of 21.2KV so 30 KV rating provides a
measure of protection, although some folks prefer a bigger safety margin.
 As a general rule, you should not open the gap to more than 1 mm /2  KV
rms, or in your case 7.5mm MAX.

Check any of the basic theory sites to determine how to do the
calculations. For example: _www.richieburnett.co.uk_ (http://www.richieburnett.co.uk)
is a  good place to start.

Good luck,

Matt D

In a message dated 9/10/2009 8:52:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,