From: Andrew Robinson <teslamad@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 2:12:38 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] reply to: nst plus asynch rotary gap, good? bad?

mike osipowicz wrote:
> This is a reply to Jim Mora and Gary Lau, thanks for the reply's. I am going to run it at about 170 BPS, not 120 so it is a bit easier on the NST, I will have it on a dimmer so I can slow it down just a tad if needed. so correct me if I'm wrong, but 1700 rpms, with 8 rotary and 2 stationary electrodes would give me 170 BPS. If I do end up killing my NST, there are plenty of MOT's waiting for me at the dump... hopefully I will not have to go through that whole process. I am going to use some plastic from a cutting board, but I am not sure what size disc to use, my motor is rather large, so it wont loose a lot of RPM's no matter what size, but what do you recommend?
> Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you.
> http://www.bing.com/cashback?form=HYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_BackToSchool_Cashback_BTSCashback_1x1

Hi Mike

   You dont want to use polypro or any equivelent of that material. As everyone else stated, it melts! Heres an example of a SRSG with a poor choice of material. BEFORE... http://host.teslamad.com/before.jpg and AFTER... http://host.teslamad.com/after.jpg See the washers under the electrodes on the disc in the first pic? Now you see the washers... Now you dont. I promise you they're still there, they're just embedded in the plastic now completely hidden. You want to look for a material called G10 or G11. Do a google search for it or check out this company http://www.electricalinsulationmaterial.com/ Its not very cheap, but you'll thank me in the long run!

Goodluck!