Re: [TCML] Frequency

To some extent, you're just transferring the problem.  Maybe the 555
won't blow but the drive transistor on the isolated side still will,
and perhaps the optical receiver.  These parts are cheap, just buy a
few and if they blow, figure out the problem and replace them.
Really, a good back-EMF diode across the LV winding should be enough
to protect most drive electronics.  A snubbing capacitor across the
winding will also help but (like a series resistor) it will make the
drive pulse edges less sharp and therefore reduce your output voltage.

Still not sure why you aren't using the 120V light dimmer circuit that
is so simple and reliable.

If you want specific advice please post a schematic diagram of the
setup you're intending to use.

Good luck,
Henry

--