[TCML] TV enquiry

Hi all,

I'm working on returning series for BBC1 (one of the main TV channels in the UK) called 'Bang Goes The Theory'. You can find out more about the show here.

www.bbc.co.uk/bang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyAyd4WnvhU

My job is to produce and direct the practical engineering demonstrations, fronted (and constructed) by Jem Stansfield. These have become the most popular parts of the show. We've built a vortex cannon, got HD video back from 100,000ft using a helium balloon and threw a trolley down a railway using a hybrid toffee and nitrous oxide rocket.  We're now casting around for ideas for the second series and we've long wanted to produce a very large Tesla Coil.

Obviously it doesn't take much time on the internet until you're blown away by all the videos, but in particular DC Cox or Kevin Eldridge's creations.  I guess you can see what's coming next, the 800th naive email asking for help...

I appreciate this isn't something to go into lightly due to the serious inherent risks. But putting aside construction issues and the obvious need for expert advice (for now) I'd just like to know if a very large coil is possible on the money I have available.

We can occasionally get companies to offer products at a serious discount, which might help, but with only about £5000 ($7950) in the pot for parts, I just don't know what's feasible. A ballpark figure would really help me decide if we should proceed. I'd really appreciate people getting in touch with any advice. Congratulations on what you've all achieved so far and I hope to hear from you. Feel free to email me direct if you wish.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Watson

Development Producer
BBC Science

nick.watson1@xxxxxxxxx
Phone: (44) (0)20 800 83749
Mobile: (44) (0)7779 145122
Address: MC5 C4 Media Centre, 201 Wood Lane, London, W12 7TQ

http://www.bbc.co.uk/