[TCML] Concentric Tube Wax/ Ti Concentrate Capacitors

In current off topic business I have ordered widths of expensive stainless steel tubing and made constructions for holding the cylinders equidistant from 1/2 inch ID outwards to 2.5 inch OD. A 3 inch shell is to be added also where ~ 5 cells in series @ 3/8 spacing will be made on our assemblies. These are being cut into nine inch lengths. A set of these cylinders were cut too long at 10 inches and cannot fit into our assemblies and are considered "scrap" for now.

Paraffin wax can be melted down and mixed with a variety of powders to improve its dielectric constant, which of chief concern here is titanium oxide, the white pigment powder used in white paint. We have ordered supplies and made this wax mixture some time ago. The difficulty that ensues is obtaining the concentrate, as when the mixture cools and solidifies, only the bottom portion contains the maximum concentration of the additive by saturation, which can be seen on the coloration of the mixture upon settling.

These unused 10 in.length concentric cylinders can be used to test the dielectric constant of the various wax mixtures made, and then melted out for discard, or futher use... Barium titanate is said to have a large dielectric constant. Even ferrite powder can be formed to a wax concentrate, and even mixed with TiO2 concentrate. In 17 years of work in the plastics processing industry, I used to run spectrum frequency IR scans for incoming chemicals for verification of their  graph signatures. The sample plates for the chemical were actually large salt crystals about the size of a small dominoe.

One time a great confusion arose when I tested paraffin wax and then some of the granular polyethylenes made by Allied Chemical; 617A and 629A. I'm certainly no chemist but these are very low temperature melting polyethylenes, but the chemical signatures on the IR graph  are very similar to paraffin, so it would essentially seem to be a much harder, higher melting point wax that might be used for concentrates. The sample plate would not give a good IR signature for the AC poly when previously tested with paraffin. The salt crystal sample plate itself had to be quickly swabbed with water to give the "totally" accurate IR signature of the higher density waxes.

Concentric plated capacitors may be undesirable for TC Primaries, but if a suitably high dielectric mixture can be homemade, this may compete with the market. The outer shell could edgewise cut to be distant from the inner shell edge for two plate models, to prevent close plate proximities.
More economical metals as the thinnest possible tubing should be possible also.

In any case when the first Ti/Wax concentrate ring layer is made I will show the specs.

Sincerely HDN