To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:41 PM
Subject: [TCML] Re: Pros and cons

Hello,
> > Decision making about building tesla coil in 5-10 kw power range,what > > would be a better choice:
> I) Standard coil design with a rotary spark gap
> OR
> II) High peak power solid state coil > > ?
> Keen to know advantages and disadvantages from > practical,experimental,economical and other aspects of coiling.

Have you built either before? Or worked with high power RF? (e.g. if you've built a 20kW RF Power Amp, then you're in a different situation than if all you've done is hook up a flashlight bulb and a D-cell battery)

The peak power on a spark gap coil is higher than the SS. SS coils have a lot of flexibility for controlling the behavior (e.g. if you want to have your coil sing songs, SS is the way to go). If you're interested in studying >spark propagation, an SS coil might be the better way.

I'm not that much of a musical type to make tesla coil which can sing songs :-)

Well,my company manufactures high voltage gear.
Beside standard LI tests some products are desirable to test to bidirectional OSIV . For preliminary testings and in the conjucion with modified Marx generator we have,I think that tesla coil
might serve good for generating fast OSIV and return OSIV transients.
At least 800 kV,25 kHz output is required,and aproximate calculation goes like 5 kW at about 50 impulses per second
or 10 kw at 100 impulses per second should be enough for the purposes.
Basically,we are exploring possibilities tesla HF generators offer here and are open to suggestions.
How efficient tesla coils can be?
If the peak power on spark gap coil is higher than on SSTC,can you recommend best solutions for controling the spark gap coil behavior?

Regards,

Fez Zaev