[TCML] Re: Solid state efficiency, was: mini Tesla coil specs

Hi Dex,

100BPS would probably produce longer arcs at constant wattage since Epri would necessarily be higher. However, the optimum BPS at constant power would likely be somewhere 100 and 350BPS.

At normal TC primary operating currents, the IGBTs I used have a much lower R_effective than the 120L rotary gap. The IGBTs exhibit about 0.007Ohm where the SGTC is about 0.6Ohm.

Expressed as a ratio against Zpri however, the difference is somewhat less. The ratio for the SS primary would be 0.75/0.007 = 107, where the ratio for the SGTC system is 14/0.6 = 23. So one could say that the SS switch is about 4.5 times better than the SG switch.

But again, the SS switch comes at a cost, both in terms of the IGBTs themselves, the control circuitry, and the specialized coppersmithing required for the primary circuit. GL

These are great (and BIG) coils Greg!
With 100 BPS @ 25 kW operation 120L50k would create even longer discharges than at 350 BPS @ 25 kW I guess.
Do you (dis)agree?
BTW, compared only loss of IGBT in OLTC and spark gap
loss in SGTC (at same power level and BPS) which one is higher
at tesla coil frequencies?

Dex