From: Ken or Doris Herrick <kchdlh@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Solid state efficiency, was: mini Tesla coil specs
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:57:08 -0800

 A research paper I have a copy of has found spark
propagation in air, measured over 1 inch of distance, to require about
50 ns of time.  That extrapolates to about 20 inches of travel per
microsecond.  So with a high rate of voltage-rise, more charge can be
applied to the electrode than can bleed off through the spark during its
first several inches of travel.

Ken Herrick