From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 4:56 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: RE: [TCML] VIDEO of variable speed vacuum fan RQ spark gap.

I have noticed the variable speed vacuum fan spark gap seems to work best
with a lot of air flow.  I think the high air flow keeps it from over
heating and it also disrupts the arcs in the gap a lot more.  I have used it
on smaller TCs with less power I put a jumper wire across 1 or 2 of the gaps
and used only 7 gaps or 6 gaps instead of the total 8 gaps. I made
adjustment so the vacuum fan was running at least 1/2 speed or faster.  I
originally built this for my 12KW 10" coil the gap was over heating with a
tiny 4" box fan so at 3/4 speed the vacuum worked best and I can turn the
variac and watch the sparks get longer and shorter by about a foot while the
gap gets plenty of cooling.

The only experementing I have done with the gap spacing is, I built one
where they were not all exactly .030" gap. I built one and made sure very
gap was spaced different, .030, .029, .028, .027, .031, ,032, ,033, .034. By
comparing both on the same TC they appear to work pretty much the same
output measured the same to a target.