From: Quarkster [mailto:quarkster@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 11:14 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] primary tubing

Brian -

As I said, anodizing is an electrochemical process, typically using a
chromic or sulphuric acid bath in conjunction with a DC current to
accelerate the formation of the surface oxide.

The total thickness of the aluminum oxide layer obtained by conventional
(Type II) anodizing is typically between 2-25 micrometers, or .00008 - .001
inch. "Hard anodizing" can generate oxide films up to 150 micrometers (.006
inch) thick, but these tend to be very brittle, and any deformation of the
underlying metal (bending or forming) can cause the oxide film to crack and
flake off.

There is no known anodizing process that can generate an oxide layer 1/32 to

1/16 inch thick.

Regards,
Herr Zapp