Re: [TCML] Terry Filter

Thank you for the advice. Good thinking. I don't think I'll be cranking up the variac beyond the line voltage. Too much sparks! Small garage. Anyway, I was used to 9kv/30 ma, and 14 inch sparks to ground. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Quarkster" <quarkster@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 06, 2009 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Terry Filter

Dan -

You need to carefully review the manufacturer's datasheet for your specific MOVs to verify their rated RMS voltage, and compare this to what you expect to see in your circuit. You also need to consider if you ever intend to "overdrive" the NST with a variac (apply more than local AC line voltage) to achieve greater coil output. If so, you might want to "design-in" physical space for additional MOVs, and just use jumper wires at these locations until you are ready to increase NST input voltage.

Some useful technical data on MOV characteristics can be found at:
www.littelfuse.co.kr/data/en/Application_Notes/an9767.pdf

Regards,
Herr Zapp
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Casaregola" <ag2z@xxxxxxxxxxx>