Re: [TCML] Terry Filter

NST is Gardner. Ok on 8 mov's per side for 15kv/30ma. Was not aware that cap size was critical (rc resonance) . i haven't purchased the caps yet, but I do have .01 @ 2500 wv micas, and was hoping to use them. I guess I'll have to calculate the original resonance freq, then see how many .01 I would need and hope the total voltage will be adequate. Thanks for help. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 06, 2009 4:37 AM
Subject: RE: [TCML] Terry Filter

What kind of NST are you using? For a 15kV NST, only -8- MOV's should be used per side. See http://www.classictesla.com/download/NST_Filter.jpg

The number of MOV's used must change as the NST voltage changes, since the number determines the clamp voltage.

While the number of caps could be varied to maybe save a few pennies when using a lower voltage NST, the cap uF rating would need to be increased, as you always want the resulting string to have the same capacitance, so that the R-C filter will have the same high frequency cutoff characteristics. So don't change the caps.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA