[TCML] Newbie

Hi
This is my first entry to leasla list.

I am building my first Tesla coil, a project I have thought on and off about
doing since I was an 8 year old electronics enthusiast. In those days, we
only had valves to play with. I have one or two questions as I have stalled
briefly not certain which way to go.

So far I have built the secondary 4.3 inches x 29.9 inches and about 1000
turns, an aynchronous rotary spark gap, a 4 MOT transformer pruducing about
8.8kv, and I have got the copper tubing for the primary, and some aluminiun
ducting for a torroid topload.

1.   I have been reading about capacitors and it is rather confusing. I like
the idea of an mmc but can't find a good source in New Zealand. I understand
the poly caps with foil internal terminations work best (=fail less!). Any
idea of a good suplier (even more downunder..!)

2. Some people use a rotary gap and static gap in series. Why?

3. I need some easy way to regulate the power going into the transformers. I
am currently using some oil filled heaters but obviously they are bulky!

Many thanks

Andrew Buxton