[TCML] Inductor Construction

I apologize for my rustiness with classical physics, but here's the problem:

I'm building an inductive ballast for a pole pig; the plan is for 200-300 turns of 8 gauge around a PVC pipe, with some welding rods taped together into a long bar sliding in and out of the PVC form.

My question arises because I found a supplier of some cable that has 6 strands of 8 gauge insulated copper wire inside.  Would I be able to somehow splice the input to connect to all 6, then use say 50' of the cable to get 300 turns effective?

Is this feasible or not?

Thanks,
Tyler