[TCML] Secondary resonant frequency with scope (discussion continuing)

I've got an oscilloscope and a secondary, but I do -not- have a signal
generator.

However, I think building up a signal generator with a 555 timer and a
breadboard is very straightforward. I can sweep it across quite a  range of
frequencies with a potentiometer, and get a pretty good idea of the  frequency
with the scope.

What I need to know is:

first, do I need more output than a 555 can do (say, run it through a 741
op-amp, or more?);

second, what sort of signal would be best? Square waves are easy, sine
waves take a bit more doing;

third, how do I connect the signal generator to the secondary coil? Common
grounds and signal generator output to the top of the secondary? This seems
 wrong, but I'm very weak on antenna theory.

last, where do I connect the scope to observe all this, both its ground and
 its probe?

I've taken a look at the list archives and am now confused at a much higher
 level; they are assuming that I know a few things which I just plain don't
 understand.

All help appreciated, believe me.

Thanks,

Dave

**************Discover the variety of Bisquick® mix. Get Recipes & Savings
Now.
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222831871x1201491818/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215225813%3B37274670%3Be%3Fhttp:%2F%2
Frecipes.bisquick.bettycrocker.com%3FESRC%3D971)