Re: [TCML] New Coil Questions

Hey Tyler....

comments after your questions...

Tyler Pauly wrote:

I have more questions on the following two.
snipperzz...

I've heard of people using a PVC pipe as a form to wind heavy wire around, and sticking welding rods inside to form an inductive ballast.  This sounds somewhat cheap and very easy, but will it work?  What could go wrong, what should I take into account etc.?

It does work for smaller systems unfortunately piggies pull quite a bit of power and you would need about 250 winds of #6 or 8 wire on a form of about 4" dia about 14" long to hold the welding rods. Some people even go as far as using a second tube to hold the rods and slide the second tube in and out of the larger wire wound tube to adjust the current. As far as what could go wrong is the use of too thin a wire, not enuf turns/winds, too small a diameter of tube not allowing for enuf rods to form the "core".

Snipperzzz...

I'm a little confused on both responses to this question. For your answer, where do I get some of this cable? And what is the second object I'm connecting the cable to? I'm not very familiar with the lingo used with pigs. So does this cable have two insulated conductors inside? If I were to use normal cable with only one conductor, I would be connecting an end to the bushing and the other end to.... what again? =P
The cable has 2 insulator ( some have 3) layers, the center is wire then an insulative wrap, then a multi weave "shield" wire and finally another insulated coating. In most cases, the cable is about 7/8" in dia and can be as thick as 1.25" dia. I have about 150' of the stuff in my shop.... let me know how much you need and I can cut it for you and all it will cost is the shipping fees... be warned tho the stuff is heavy possibly about 1/3 lb per foot

Scot D

Thanks again!
Tyler