Re: [TCML] Capacitor encapsulent

Ed Phillips wrote:
Good luck! My experience with window glass capacitors has been uniformly disappointing - never got one to last very long. I also tried "potting" then in paraffin without any luck but I didn't have vacuum apparatus. Others may comment on their own stories.

Ed

glass is moderately lossy as a dielectric so getting the heat out is a challenge. I think, though, that the cracking problem with glass plate caps is from localized heating from corona or arcs, so potting would solve that.

Considering there are so many better dielectric materials available (and cheaper), glass just isn't a winner.

The exception is the beer bottle capacitor, just because it's easy and cheap.