Re: [TCML] Transformer rating

	Best answer is "YES".  All depends on the transformerand you need more information than is in as simple a rating.  The NST is current limited by high leakage reactance [shunts in magnetic circuit] and the 36 mA is pretty close to the short circuit current - in other words, pretty close to a current source when the output voltage is much below 15 kV.  The 14 volt 1 amp charger transformer is probably related to deliver 14 volts under load of 1 amp and is a relatively low resistance device.  It will probably deliver several amps short circuit but the 1 amp is the steady state rating.

Ed

"I don't understand how what it means when a transformer is rated with
voltage AND amps.  For example, a 15kV/36mA NST or something smaller like a
14V/1Amp wall adapter.  Is the transformer a voltage or current source?

I'm just thinking back to basic physics V=IR.  If the transformer supplies
15kV and I have a load resistance of 1500ohms, why can't I draw 10Amps?

Nicholas Goble"