Re: [TCML] Transformer rating

Hey Nicholas...

The limiting factors in transformers are the wire size used for the secondary winding and the core size the wire is wound on. The wire is only capable of so much current flow to start with... plus it has its own resistance too... The transformers core only allows a certian amount of flux to be produced before the core becomes saturated. Once staturation occurs, the "power" available to become transfered to the secondary no longer is viable.

As far as your V=IR line of thought, it is possible IF the secondary wire was rated for 10 amps and the core of the transformer was big enuf to allow that much energy to be "produced" in the secondary windings.

Hope this helped..

Scot D

Nicholas Goble wrote:

I don't understand how what it means when a transformer is rated with
voltage AND amps.  For example, a 15kV/36mA NST or something smaller like a
14V/1Amp wall adapter.  Is the transformer a voltage or current source?

I'm just thinking back to basic physics V=IR.  If the transformer supplies
15kV and I have a load resistance of 1500ohms, why can't I draw 10Amps?

Nicholas Goble