Re: [TCML] Re: The current recordholders?

Greg,

Your upgrade plan sounds counterproductive. Perhaps you can offer a constructive statement as to the maximum arc length reached by Electrum. I understand that arc length is not the only measurement of a Tesla coil's operational characteristics but it seems to serve as a starting point for peer review.

Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Leyh" <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Currently, I'm planning a major power upgrade to the existing 120L50K experimental coil shown here:
http://www.lightninglab.org/Projects/120L50K/120L50K.html

The plan is as follows:
A) Replace the 3-phase DC resonant charger with a single-phase xfmr using resistive ballasts.

B) Change out the pulse caps in the primary for high-ESR filter caps.

C) Add lossy magnetic core material around the primary conductors.

D) Decrease the bleed resistor value to 2500ohm, on the 26kV line.

E) Increase the rotary gap break rate to 900 BPS.

After these changes the power draw should increase to well over 300 kilowatts, making this the most powerful coil in the world. The arc length performance shouldn't be noticably affected.

-GL