RE: [TCML] MMC

Hi Mitch,

In addition to the concerns raised by others regarding the overall voltage rating of the string, also know that there is a good deal more to a capacitor being suitable for a Tesla coil than just voltage and uF ratings.  The dielectric material is critically important.  Metalized poly is an incomplete description.  Poly-what?  Polypropylene is good, polyester (a.k.a. Mylar) is not.  And beyond dielectric material, the mechanical construction of the plates is critical.  To survive the high currents encountered in TC's, we need a foil plate construction.  I think that metalized film refers to a vacuum-deposition of extremely thin aluminum, which would fail quickly in any but the lowest power coils.

If you can provide a link to the part you're looking at, we may be able to more accurately access how suitable it is.  But unfortunately, suitable caps are rarely found commonly or cheaply.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA