RE: [TCML] The Dreadful Task of Ballasting (longish)

> As Bart mentioned to me my DVM will most likely not be
> giving an accurate
> reading anyway on my tranny (core = 8 sq ins).
> I think that was proved today before the DVM died. The
> small MOT was ~52mH,
> which with its small core is probably accurate. So I built
> a usable inductor
> with some identical big cores as those that the transformer
> uses.
> This measured to around 54 mH when finished, so therefore I
> was expecting
> the same current draw of approx' 16 amps that I got
> yesterday with the 52 mH
> MOT. However I only got ~6 amps, so I had to remove some
> turns plus some
> packing shims, as obviously the new inductor was more than
> the 54mH that the
> DVM measured.
> So it is not up to the job with measuring inductance with
> big cores.
I would series the inductor with a larger wattage load such as a 200 watt incandescent bulb. Estimate the inductor as a total value of inductive reactance; note the drop in amperage to the bulb,(as a pure resistance) and apply trig to the problem. The new value of conduction should be based on the ohmic value of the hypotenuse with y as X(L) and bulb resistance as the x coordinant.
HDN