RE: [TCML] The Dreadful Task of Ballasting (longish)

Hello Bart.

You said>>>>>>>>>
My gut feeling is that resonance is not the problem. It may be an inductive
kick, but possibly it is simply due to cap charge and time. Are you running
a rotary gap?

NO, but maybe I should be ? the static is pretty hefty as you can see in the
pics midaway down at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/follies/tesla/sucker_gap.html
, it runs reasonably warm with vac cleaner suction on the new tranny, and
pretty much cold on a 1.5kvs NSt setup. I was hoping it would suffice as a
temporary measure. I have a SRSG motor I converted, I just need to get
around to building the gap.

You said>>>>>>>>
so if it's a rotary and possibly the time to alignment was slow, the safety
gap may simply be reaching breakdown due to cap charging. The new
transformer certainly gives you 3X the charging current, so it's reaching
potential that much faster and if there nothing to break to, then it will
continue to charge beyond the 11kV guestimate until the safety gap breakdown
voltage is reached.

The same could apply I suppose to a single gap not quenching properly. It?s
a lot of power with a static, so maybe I?m pushing my luck more than I
thought, in expecting it to cope.

I have finally got a rectifier chain built to use my 30kv HV Brandenburg
voltmeter (DC) that I bought on Ebay for a modest £16. It accurately gives a
shade over 15K peak as the output (10K + rms). This is rather disappointing
as I was aiming for 12K rms or more. (It can be improved but that?s another
issue.)
So 10K is the output with 0.35 amps s/c when using a 53.4mH ballast. I?ve
emailed you my addy for your spreadsheet but if the address is wrong that I
sent it to,  try:  follies ?AT? ntlworld.com

Regards

Phil
www.follytowers.co.uk/tesla