Re: [TCML] Tuning a coil PLEASE HELP

Hey Andrew,

Instead of trying to use a setup that is that "precise" try using JavaTC and get the info to get a very good ballpark number of your system first. From there you can make the system better "tuned" instead of trying to match "numbers" that change once the system is turned on and running.

Its kind of like trying to tweak a carburator on a car with the engine not running.....

Once you put power to the coil, You will still need to move the primary tap around untill you find the best spot... And if you havent run your coil yet, dont expect it to work the first time... Mr. Murphy loves coils!!

but to help you understand what you are looking for with the generator and meter/scope, the secondary has its own specific frequency, and if you put a signal into that coil, it will try to resonate with that signal in some of the "phases" ( harmonics). As the input signal becomes matched to the natural frequency of the coil, the "energy" is reflected back down the coil thus producing an increase in the power ( amplitude/height) of the sinewave. An increase of frequency increases the "narrowness" of the reading on the scope, readjust the settings to widen the sinewave.

When the signal is not at resonance with the coil, the output reading will be less than the input signal. Once the signal matches the coils frequency you will see an increase in amplitude/voltage on the scope. Use JavaTC to find the ballpark frequency of your secondary first... False readings can occur if you find a harmonic value ( 1/2 1/4 1/6 etc. of the real frequency)

And finally, Tesla coils are kind of like a radio transmitter but the general attempt is to produce a single frequency and not modulate that output ( unless you are into the musical end of T Coiling)

Scot D

Andrew Robinson wrote:

So I've asked for tuning help before and one or two people responded with a link which was somewhat helpful... but now I need to refine some questions

What im asking from the list now is two things, one question and a confirmation on setup...

First, the general question which applies to all tuning setups. The link I was sent to learn to tune the coil can be found here: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/teslatutorial/MEASUREMENTSPR.htm In this explanation (and any other explanation out there) after you setup everything you are supposed to turn up the frequency on the signal generator until the amplitude on the scope reaches a max. At this max is your resonate frequency. Um........ I'm no electrical engineer but when you change the frequency shouldn't the sine wave get longer and shorter (Freq modulation) not get higher (amplitude modulation)????? What am I doing wrong because when I setup the test and do exactly what they say to do I dont get their results (amplitude modulation) I get frequency modulation as expected....... PLEASE HELP (BIGGEST PROBLEM)

See these links to my server for diagrams of my setup. What I really need is an explanation of physical setup, not schematic.

Secondary self resonance: http://host.atomiklan.com/tesla/scope1.PNG

In this first setup the signal generator has two ports. A 20v and 5v. Which should I use? Also each ports probe has red and black alligator clips. Red goes to base of secondary and black goes where? Is this diagram correct?

Primary self resonance: http://host.atomiklan.com/tesla/scope2.PNG

In this diagram I just think everything is wrong. Can someone please correct my diagrams. Thanks