Re: [TCML] Homebuilt Transformer - Can you add shunts?

Hi Phil,

Phil Tuck wrote:
Bart:

Thanks for the impressive ASCii artwork. I had also found this Java
demonstration as well which is quiet good, at
http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/education/tutorials/java/magneticshunt/index.html
(Wont work in Firefox, only IE on mine) Your link to Franceformer explains
the reasoning behind it all quiet well as well.

Cool! My Firefox ran the applet just fine (Vista). I'm running Firefox 3.0.7 using Sun Java 6 (build 1.6.0_13-b03).

The option of the coil arrangement you give in the second post could be used
in my third option here: (near the bottom of page)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/follies/tesla/radar_transformer.html

Option 1, could, and I emphasise the word 'could', make a tranny that might
not need ballasting, as its inherent qualities of poor self regulation and
leakage, just might work to my advantage it seems.

Option 2 is more conventional although this classic text book illustration
of how transformer are depicted is not the best option (based on web
research only and not from ANY practical experience)

Option 3 would seem the best, and I think that the advantages outweigh the
extra work over the others.
Originally, I wasn't sure if shunts could be used on a U core (easily), but if the secondary is wound on it's own bobbin to the side of the primary, you gain hv winding layers, hv space, and a solid means to insert shunts. You can certainly build shunts out of any old transformer laminations. The NST I posted on today uses about 5/16" thick shunts X4 around the primary. Given your U core #3 design, you will need to measure short circuit current dry and insert/remove shunts until you attain the desired current limiting. I'm not sure how big the U cores are, but you want to stay clear of fully magnetizing the core of course.

Take care,
Bart