Re: [TCML] Homebuilt Transformer - Can you add shunts?

Bart:

Thanks for the impressive ASCii artwork. I had also found this Java
demonstration as well which is quiet good, at
http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/education/tutorials/java/magneticshunt/index.html
(Wont work in Firefox, only IE on mine) Your link to Franceformer explains
the reasoning behind it all quiet well as well.

The option of the coil arrangement you give in the second post could be used
in my third option here: (near the bottom of page)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/follies/tesla/radar_transformer.html

Option 1, could, and I emphasise the word 'could', make a tranny that might
not need ballasting, as its inherent qualities of poor self regulation and
leakage, just might work to my advantage it seems.

Option 2 is more conventional although this classic text book illustration
of how transformer are depicted is not the best option (based on web
research only and not from ANY practical experience)

Option 3 would seem the best, and I think that the advantages outweigh the
extra work  over the others.

Whatever arrangement I use it will be wound on a lathe, using the fine feed
of the gearbox to get the coils up nice and close. So all I have to do is
hit the reverse switch at the end of each layer (plus of course insulate the
individual layers etc... ) so the only work is making extra bobbins.

Using any ballast (either resistive, inductive, capacitance)  means a
voltage drop, so less across the primary. So a ballast free design appeals.

Christoph:

What did you mean when you said,

quote: "You might consider to rearrange the core for one double wide U."
I can't figure this one out. I've labelled the cores in the photo on the
above link, perhaps you could explain

You also said, quote:  "Hm I don't see any real problems with winding the
traditional way either.

If you wind your pri directly on the core, then the secondary directly on
top

of the pri, ground the inner end of the secondary ( or connect to end of pri
)

the only thing you have to worry about is arcing to the core...

Or am I missing something?

However, this is not helpfull in regards of your attempt to shunt the
xformer...

Maybe I missed a point, its late in the evening, but don't let troubles stop
you from

persuing your task. I "wound my own" and didn't regret it."

The trouble is that my winding window won't allow any more turns with the
original arrangement. The present primary however is a bifilar arrangement
using AWG 14, so rewind with a single conductor may save some space, but to
go from 8k+ to 15k or so implies twice as much wire. At present it is AWG 25
so everything is fairly bullet-proof  (although I got the tranny with the
secondary blown so it was not THAT bullet-proof)

On a slightly different note, disregarding resistive ballast and talking of
just inductive, I presume the best way to get the lowest volt drop across it
is to have it as a relatively small value compared to the primary of the
tranny. This rather defeats the purpose of needing a ballast though? Even
the arc welder method must loose quite a few volts across it.

Regards

Phil