Re: [TCML] Considering a new coil build...

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:50 PM, bartb <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As mentioned, the cap size is something you might want to look at first. To
> design an MMC say .04uF is quite a task. For example, to build a killer
> .04uF 60kV cap size, then 30 caps per string x 8 strings in parallel. This
> is 240 caps and if caps were say $3ea, then $720. It only gets worse with
> higher capacitance. You could also build a 30kV type with 15 caps per string
> x 4 strings, but reliability gets questionable. However, that gets down to
> $180. The problem here is what is available at the voltage, capacitance, and
> their construction. Your probably better off buying pulse caps.

I'm starting to think that a real pulse cap might be the way to go. Dr.
Resonance has emailed me some information on an amazing cap that would be
great. It's a little expensive though, so I'm going to have to save up for a
while. I was going to build the MMC for a lower voltage, as I think I did
24kV with a 15kV NST. But thinking about it, I can see that isn't going to
work. I'd be really irritated if I blew up my MMC after soldering all that
together.

Although you can cut one of the variacs and gap the core for a current
> ballast, you might want to consider keeping the variac in tact and finding
> an alternative means of ballast. I cut the core on one of my big 30A
> variacs, but many times wish I had gone a different route. The ballast
> variacs rating will be the limit on the power you can process and if you go
> over that, brushes will smoke (or worse, windings can short).

Also a good point. It may be better to just buy or find an AC arc welder.
They aren't really expensive compared to the cap. :)