Re: [TCML] Considering a new coil build...

Hi Travis,

Welcome back! ;^) I'm sure that you will get

numerous repsonses to your posting but I will

share a few of my observations.

First of all, MMCs could definitely work on a

coil of the magnitude that you propose but the

purchase and soldering together of several

hundred MMC caps (which is pret ty much

what would be required for a p ig powered

coil system) would prove to be impractical-

ly expensive and laborous when compared

to a single unit commercial pulse capacitor.

MMCs are great and highly recommended

for small to medium sized NST driven coils

but when you step up to piggy power, their

practicality starts to become more of an is-

sue.

Second, with your variacs, "I" would leave

the 3 of them intact although I would opt to be

able to manually turn the voltage control and

remove the motor drive. To be able to use one

as a current control, you must cut through its

core to gap it and if you're not careful, you'll

just end ruining a perfectly good variac. That

has been my personal experience. You can

use a 225 amp stick welder for very good

voltage and current control. You may also

consider constructiong your own ballast out

of building wire and an iron core from a large

discarded transformer. I used the two piece

core from an old x-ray transformer and wound

each "leg" with paralleled coils of #8 building

wire, about 105 turns each . You would have

to be sure that your core material has sufficient

cross sectional area to handle the power that

you will be controlling.

Your wire size for you secondary is pretty

much right in the "ballpark" of what you

would want but you should really opt for

a significantly larger secondary form than

8"x30". As you mention, sonotube is one

option for a larger diameter secondary

form. Also, I went to a local plastics suppli-

er and ask for 12" PVC duct pipe. They had

it but I think they would only sell it in the 10

ft. lengths and it was a bit pricey. However,

a good coiling friend of mine was also looking

for a secondary former so we both chipped

in on the former and cut it in half. You should

definitely go with a 12" or even larger secondary

form to be able to utilize the greater induct-

ance which is a good thing for longer sparks.

Most suggest keeping the secondary aspect

ratio in the 4:1 to 5:1 range so a 48" to 60"

of 12" form would would be great. Of course,

you'll need even more wire for this coil size and

you may find it to be more practical to go for

the larger 12" spool of magnet wire (~80 to

100 lbs.) as opposed to the small 6" spools

(~8 to 11 lbs.) You may check into a local

distributor of wire or find a motor repair

shop if you're in a larger city to see if you can

purchase some wire from them.

For the primary coil, the copper tubing is a

great idae although I would opt for 1/2" tu-

bing since you're building a piggy powered

system. Some would also suggest flat cop-

per strip as it would allow for a much smaller

outer diameter of the primary coil which can

help to reduce primary coil strikes.

IMHO, the G-10 with tungsten electrodes

ARSG is the way to go. However, I would

opt for at least a 10 " diameter disc as an 8"

disc would render standoff from the shaft/

hub quite a challenge at these voltage/power

levels. "I" use an 11 1/2" dia. x 1/2" thick G-10

disc with (8) 3/8" x 1 1/2" long tungsten flying

electrodes and (4) 1/2" dia. x 3" long tungsten

stationary electrodes. I also use a DC motor

from a treadmill as the drive motor and recti-

fy the 120 VAC to DC and use a variac for

speed control. These types of motors are

quite powerful for their relatively small size

and lend theirselves very easily to infinite

speed comtrol via a variac.

You could use one of the 8x24 toroids as a

shield toroid under a larger main toroid. I would

go for a toroid cord diamter of at least 10", if

not 12" and a major diameter of at least 40"

for the main toroid for better field control and

better E-field shielding. I think you'll find that

a single (or even stacked) 8x24 toroids would

really limit your coil's performance for the 10

kVA pig power that you have available.

RFI/EMI filters do help reduce the transients

produced by the coil's primary circuit that tend

to get back into the power supply lines. Just

make sure that the filter is up to the task for

the current that will be drawn by your coil.

Good luck with your project and keep us in-

formed of your progress.

David Rieben