RE: [TCML] GFP

I believe the reason that the small SMPS types are unsuitable for Tesla coils is that we need a 50 or 60 Hz HV source to be able to charge the tank cap at a suitable BPS rate.  The SMPS units deliver something like 10-20KHz.

While it may seem that one might be able to rectify the output for a DC-powered coil, I don't know that anyone has ever done so.  Could be that the SMPS just shuts down if it finds itself attempting to charge such a low-impedance load as a tank cap, but I don't know, I've never looked into it.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA