Re: [TCML] Transformer Sources

In a message dated 3/14/09 8:57:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>>     It's a standard application for an  autotransformer.  "Buck/boost" is
the
>> industry  term.
>
>Buck boost connection can be an autotransfomer, but often  isn't: the
>usual transformers I've used have totally separate  windings; while I use
>autotransformer to refer to things like a  variac, where it's one
>continuous tapped winding.  Yes, they're  electrically about the same.

Maybe I'm nit-picking, but like I said,  buck/boost transformers are usually
*built* as isolating transformers, but the  connection is almost always as an
autotransformer. Most applications are for a  specific circuit - you don't
usually power the primary of a buck/boost off one  circuit but connect the
secondary to another circuit. At least I've never seen  it done that way. I'd have
to look to see if it's even allowed by Code - good  question? Usually you're
stuck with the wrong voltage because a load draws too  much current on a long
run of small conductors, and you need the extra voltage  to get the load to run
right. Easier than replacing the conductors or wiring  to a different voltage
service.

>There's also often a higher insulation between pri and sec on  the
>buck/boost than on an  autotransformer.

    Again, I don't see why, considering the usual  connection is as an
autotransformer anyhow. I suppose the voltage  difference between adjacent parts of
the primary and secondary *could* be higher  depending on how you wired a
buck/boost, but the basic insulation levels for any  commercial transformer should
be sufficient. Unless you're talking about a  high-voltage transformer, then
obviously there would be more attention given to  insulation.

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities