Re: [TCML] MAX SPARK FOR FIXED VOLTAGE

Output potential is Vsec = Vpri (peak) x 70% x SQR(Lsec/Lpri).

Also max potential is a function of inductance, whereas:  Vsec = L x dI/dt
(rate change of current with respect to time).

Inductance goes up as the square of the radius of the sec coil, and
generally large inductances produce higher potentials.

Spark length depends of total power and also the repitition rate (pps) of
the spark gap and it's ability to properly quench at the power level
being used.  Once a large volume of ions are created above the HV terminal,
then it's a "pumping action" every time the sec fires into this ion cloud.
The residual ions help to make the spark "grow" in length even though the
potential is lower.

It's quite possible to get 4-5 ft sparks at 100 kV IF the power level and
rep rates are high enough.  As an example a typical coil running 450 pps on
the break wheel, with a 100 nF capacitor (0.1 uF), runs a true 1 million
volts with a 14 ft. long sec spark.

Again, rep rate, power levels, and efficient quenching are required to
produce high performance even at lower potentials.

Solid state coils exceed these performance levels due to their highly
efficient switching and lack of losses used to heat the spark channel in a
standard
type spark gap.

If you operate any Tesla coil in a single shot mode, firing once every 15
seconds, then this spark length is a very accurate indicator of the coil's
maximum output potential.  It agrees with the equations I have listed above.

Dr. Resonance