From: jimlux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Spark gaps (again)
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:56:16 -0800

Dex Dexter wrote:
> Yeah,but the dynamic "resistance" of the gap isn't only the function of current.
> Beside other things,it's the function of time.That was my point.
>
> DD.

The arc column heats up very fast (sub-microseconds). I don't have it in
  front of me, but Edgerton's book or Bazelyan and Raizer probably have
the data.  The conductivity increases so fast that when you're looking
at charge moving to the end of a leader; the propagation velocity of the
electromagnetic field in a leader is significant, more than the time it
takes to heat the air up.

Looking at the usual tesla coil running at 100kHz or so, a time scale of
a microsecond is instantaneous.