From: jimlux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Spark gaps (again)
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:30:25 -0800

Dex Dexter wrote:
I guess the 'arc column' voltage drop must be considerably higher in
a pulsed transient arc lasting for 10-20 microseconds than in a
steady state arc of the same lenght and current.How much higher I
don't know.Catode drops should be the same in both cases.Yes/No?

Cathode drop would be the same.
The arc column heats up in microseconds (viz camera flash), so I don't know that TC arcs are all that different than a free-burning arc.