Re: [TCML] Spark gaps (again)

Thanks Jim for the explanation.? The 3-pipe set up you describe is very interesting.? How do you mount the third adjustable pipe?? Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: jimlux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 11:13 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Spark gaps (again)

otmaskin5@xxxxxxx wrote:?
> I've been following earlier discussions about higher losses?
> associated with multi-segmented?spark gaps (i.e., Richard Quick type)?
> compared to a?single gap.? It's clear that the experience of this?
> group has been power losses are significantly less with?a single gap?
> style with adequate airflow.? But I'm not sure I caught why that is.??
> What is the reason that a 0.27" single gap loses less power than an?
> 9-gap / 10 pipe RQ gap that has total gap size of 0.27"?? If total?
> gap spacing is the same for both, why would one be more lossy than?
> the other??
?
The voltage drop across a gap is the sum of a fixed cathode drop (on the order of 50-100V) plus a "arc column" loss which is quite small (for high current arcs).?
?
So multiple gaps in series has about the same arc column loss, but multiple cathode drops.?
?
Good quenching though.?
?
> > One other question, has anyone experimented with a RQ style using?
> only 2 parallel pipes for a single gap???If so, what were the?
> results.? With good air flow, it seems this set up?would be good for?
> keeping the gap cool considering airflow goes between, around and?
> through the pipes.? And you could make the pipes longer, say 4 to?
> 5?inches for better heat sinking ability.??
> ?
I use 3 sections of pipe arranged in a triangle. Two are fixed, and the one in the middle is adjustable.?
?