Re: [TCML] charging reactors

Kurt Schraner wrote:
Greg H., Jim Lux,

"think", that is a useful idea. It might just be little more than a simple solenoid: the winding should probably be in "pies", which is much more work, but needed for withstanding the voltage. I've commented on the idea sometimes before: see in the archives of october 2007:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2007/Oct/msg00478.html

Instead of the "air core" coil for 50mH, mentioned in that posting, an iron core could be added, in order to attain the 5-10H / 1A / 20kV inductance, Jim is seeking for. I could calculate such a coil with my induction coil Excel. The same care as in induction coils should be taken, in order to prevent arcing from the winding to the core.

Best regards,  Kurt

Some years ago, I was looking at tapewound inductors used for air core inductors for loudspeaker crossovers. They weren't all that expensive, had a fairly good sized hole in the middle for a stack of laminations, and you could series up a bunch on the same core to get good HV standoff.