Re: [TCML] charging reactors

jimlux wrote:
Exactly... Maybe I need to call up companies that sell cores. Winding wire on a bobbin is something I'm willing to do.
If you run into design issues, you can series smaller inductors for the L you need. Each charging choke can be built of a series of smaller inductors dividing the voltage between them and adding the inductance.

There are companies that specialize in hv charging mods (flash lamps for lasers and other applications in charge pump configurations). But the price is beyond hobby funds I expect. 20 years ago, I worked for a company that used 3kV 1.5uF CSI hv pulse caps (40 caps per bank and each cap was big) running at 120 pps. The electronics used 10 charging inductor modules. These were open frame modules (2"H x 4"W x 6"L) and I believe something purchased off the shelf. Each charging inductor module was built of a series of smaller inductors mounted on a pcb (similar to SMPS topology I guess). So anyway, smaller inductors "may" be easier design the voltage, current, and inductance your looking for. The voltage will divide and maybe get the voltage down into reasonable territory.

Food for thought.

Take care,
Bart