RE: [TCML] Toroid question

Well, just know that it's extremely common to boost power to NST's to 140V with a Variac and I'm unaware of any fallout due to that.  The usual failure mode of an NST is one of the HV windings developing a low impedance short to ground due to carbon tracking.  When using a static spark gap, the NST secondary voltage is unaffected by the boost in primary voltage; you'd just get higher current and a higher BPS.  The NST is likely to run hotter if you run for an extended time, so I don't do that.  If you were really serious about not running an NST outside of it's intended limits, you probably shouldn't be using them in a TC at all ;-)

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA