Re: [TCML] Faraday effect

An open Faraday cage is NOT a Faraday cage...
if you are sitting on an insulated platform and are using a glove to make streamers from then the current is conducted through your body - your body will conduct some of the current depending on the capacitance etc.. if the surface area is large enough then you will not feel as much - but each cycle the Tesla coil will want to charge your body and then discharge from it....
do not try to do this unless you are using very low powered Tesla coil.
I myself have done this a few times - but I've since realized that it's probably not very good to do - it doesn't hurt much but there is still some current flowing.... you won't die but you could get some bad burns as the RF energy is higher than your internal nerves can feel (and you don't have many internal nerves anyway - so you wouldn't even notice if you got burnt for a long time afterwards....)
stick with the full suit...

regards
stephen

Andrew Robinson wrote:
Does the faraday effect come into play with all conductors closed or not? Example... closed conductor: Faraday suit or bird cage of death compared to open conductor: just a metal glove (like a knife glove used in slaughter houses). Im trying to figure out the physics of the gloved hand demonstration. Are you safe standing on a insulated platform wearing a metal glove that is grounded. Will the power be spread across the outside of glove and exit through ground? This seems like a reverse of Brent Turners setup where he sits on an insulated platform and runs the wires up his arms to the gloves where the streamers exit. Reason im asking, I'd like to fully understand the physics behind something prior to doing anything stupid. I've only had experience with faraday suits and cages which are fully enclosed. Thanks Please feel free to say OMG thats dumb and will NOT work!

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4128 (20090603) __________

http://www.eset.com