Fwd: RE: [TCML] Capacitor encapsulent (fwd)

Forwarding this for Brian and to diagnose email/list issue.

Chip

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 09:32:30 -0400
From: brianb@xxxxxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: RE: [TCML] Capacitor encapsulent

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thu May 28 7:02

Guys,

Here is how we used to do it. These homemade LDPE caps were hand made over 12-years ago and are still working
great after many hours producing 6-7' arcs. You will notice that they were made before I had a digital camera :-)

http://www.brianb.org/images/Tesla/Construction%20Pictures/six_inch_coil/cap_tanks.html

Rolling your own was quite a lot of work and not inexpensive but very rewarding when they worked (plus I learned
a lot and it was great to put the theory into actual use).

You can also see the safety gap which I had set to fire before an overvoltage. When it went off, and it did quite
often in the early days, it sounded like a machine gun....

Tank Capacitors
Number of Capacitors 4
Capacitor Configuration Series/Parallel
Type Rolled LDPE
Overall C .042 uf
Overall V 22kv rms minimum
C of each unit .042 uf
Dielectric Constant 2.0
Plate Length 120 inches
Plate Width 14 inches
Dielectric .036 inches (6@.006")

Regards,
Brian B.

On Wed May 27 20:19 , "Jim Mora" sent:

      Gregory,
      You might consider collecting a number of clear 2 liter soda bottles and cut
      the flat sides into dielectric plates. They would be around 12x7 or so.PETE
      has a very high standoff and is much thinner than glass so the charge will
      be much greater. A roll of 5" flashing would be perfect for the plates. Is
      the dielectric thickness an inverse square relationship, anyone know?
      Jim Mora