RE: [TCML] Stranded/silver plated wire (was Scientific Method)

If I may reflect back to the original subject line - Scientific Method...

I can understand that not everyone has the time to write detailed responses to posted questions.  Not only "business people", but anyone with any full time job, and/or young children.  I do both, but I either post in complete thoughts or I don't post, as my credibility is dependant on my ability to communicate clearly.

Unfortunately, the topic of Tesla Coils is FULL of myths, truisms, folklore, and unverified beliefs and practices.  It is the mission of this forum to advance the art and technology.  Blindly repeating what one has heard or done, simply because someone else has done it, regardless of how often they say it or how long they have done it, does not mean it is true or represents the best practice.  This is where critical thinking comes into play - a quality that too often is lost to the desire for quick and easy answers.

It's easy and ego-fulfilling to say -  "I've done something this way and you should too, because you're asking for disaster if you don't".  We'd all like for everyone else to imitate and validate what we do.  It's flattering.  Yes, people will likely be successful if they copy something that works for you.  But is that the only way?  The best way?  The cheapest way?  The easiest way?  Determining and making these answers known is what this forum is for.

I believe that Herr Zapp's questioning DC's suggestion concerning wire stranding is a simple and reasonable follow-up to something that has never before come up in this forum.  DC's suggestion that the stranding is critical is like your dentist telling you that you should hold your toothbrush in your left hand on odd-numbered days.  Maybe there IS a good reason, but you'll need to explain why. If you find technical analyses and queries to explain technical details to be tiresome or irritating, find a book on Tesla coils written in the 50's and be happy with what you get.  This is not the place for you.

Critical thinking means that if someone says to use iron wire because it "enhances the magnetic coupling, and resulted in superior quenching", I'm going to reply I disagree, I believe it will result in inferior performance for these technical reasons...  I don't think this is nit-picking, particularly if I back up my rebuttal with a technical analysis and/or experimental data supporting my perspective.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA