Re: [TCML] Safety distance vs voltage level

Hi Dex,

An open-air flashover of 15 feet is not possible with only 12 kV. However, if a high current phase-to-ground arc was somehow initiated nearby, it could easily extend to 15 feet or more. Magnetic forces, wind, or thermal currents could then propel the arc towards the victim, making him an unfortunate part of the circuit.

Unlikely... but possible.

Bert

Dex Dexter wrote:
Searching for something I found interesting post in TCML archives:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2002/January/msg00104.html

It is claimed that 12 kV power line killed man who was 15 ft away
from it.No matter what,I think this is impossible.Only in the case if
he carried long stick or something like that-than yes. What do you
think? Safety approach distance for people regarding even 110 kV
power line level is 11 feet.See here: http://www.powerlinesafety.info/PDF/Limits%20of%20Approach.pdf

Dex

http://www.DCemail.com ---> A Washington Online Community Member --->