Re: [TCML] sealing a cardboard form

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 9:32 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] sealing a cardboard form

Hi Paul,

Id think that if its not water-based (therefore, its oil-based), and dries
clear, then its probably just fine for this. Im not sure if i see any real
benefit over regular polyurethane, though, as i cant imagine it making the
cardboard that much stronger.

Thanks for your reply. The benefit is that I have a gallon of Thompson's Water Seal on hand . . .

The sealer has a volatile base. It is designed to penetrate wood fiber and seal out water. I don't know that it had much insulating quality, but as a way to seal and stabilize cardboard, I think I'll give it a try.

I use internal plywood baffles for my 48" long cardboard forms.  2 of them
are 3/4" thick end caps, and 2 are 3/8" thick "baffles" placed about 32" in from each end to keep the tube nice and round and give it some strength from flexing. Its not a bad idea to varnish the wood before putting it together,
but i didnt bother.

PBT