Re: [TCML] Grounding rods

Id have to agree with Gary here.  "Poor" grounding likely results in only a
few 10's of kV of "ground bounce" (for lack of a better term) at the base of
the coil, which is a pretty small % of the topload voltage, meaning you
probably wont see much change in spark performance.  This same "ground
bounce" would lead to worse common-mode noise coupling to your mains wiring,
for example.

In my solid state systems i must in fact tie my RF ground to my
mains/electronics grounding to avoid huge common mode voltages between the 2
grounds (which can result in big problems).  I dont seem to have much EMI
issues, despite forcing a large common-mode difference across my mains
wiring (maybe its less voltage than i think it is).

Grounding is often a trade off between safety and EMI issues (sometimes what
is safe is not good for noise coupling, othertimes the converse situation is
true).  Best to double insulate everything you are in contact with when
running a tesla coil ;-).

Steve