Re: [TCML] Re: Position of baffle inside secondary

Dex Dexter wrote:
> Maybe sudden streamer loading is also responsible for racing
> sparks ,flshovers and (according to Dr.R) shorter spark
> performance from classical coils with couplings tighter than
> k>0.2 ??

I think you're right.  Modeling of coils without breakout
doesn't produce much in the way of damaging looking voltage
gradients, even for some quite silly k values and extreme
tunings.   There are some HF transients when the coupling
is tightly concentrated onto a small part of the secondary,
but nothing that jumps out and says racing arcs.

Little is known about this subject.  Modest k and good sized
topload seem to be the practical recipe to avoid racing arcs,
but the actual mechanism(s) are not understood.

> Something unusual is going on in my opinion.

Yes, something that doesn't emerge from the linear no-breakout
models.  Fluctuating breakout load sending HF transients back
down into the coil?  A topic with many guesses, no measurements
to go on.  A difficult thing to study.  I have a suspicion that
high frequencies are involved but there's no evidence for that.
--
Paul Nicholson