Re: [TCML] Spark gaps, Solid state switches and diodes

Finn Hammer, I forgot to tell you that those videos are really inspiring!!!
That popcorn tune was one of the most amazing things I have seen!!!.
Well Done!
Are you saying that you use a SISG type design to modulate the audio or is it a totally different design?

Stephen

Finn Hammer wrote:
Stephen Hiscock skrev:
Hey guys, my name is Stephen, I've just joined this email group.
Welcome aboard!
snip

I'm wondering if anyone who has had first hand experience with these solid state spark gaps (SISG) could help me answer a few questions * My transformers put out 15,000 Volts at 30mA each x 5 (or 6 if the fuse doesn't blow ;-) ) so how many will SISG's will I need
To answer this question, we need to know the size pf the primary capacitor and the resonant frequency. From this it is possible to calculate peak current in the tank circuit, and from this to select a suitable IGBT.
* how reliable will his general design be with my coil. (obviously I will need more in series - but will I need to parallel them as well??
Parallel is not good, rather use a bigger IGBT.
* Is there an easy way / simply formula to calculate how much current will be flowing peak? (800A or 8000A) - depends on resistance or capacitance or inductance? - I currently don't have an oscilloscope at home I can use.
Ipeak is a relation to Lpri, Cpri and Vmax.

First calculate Zpri =>sqrt(Lpri/Cpri)
Then Ipeak => Vmax/Zpri

Vmax is the breakdown voltage of the gap/sisg stack.
Lpri is the inductance of the primary coil
Cpri is the size of your primary capacitor

If you don`t know these values, a good program to calculate them from mechanical data is Javatc:
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

Sorry for so many questions, but you guys seem to like answering questions - and I've been enjoying the discussion - so hopefully I've added something more to chat about.
Personally, I think the SISG is only half finished, because it is the equivalent to a static gap. Most coilers want a rotary gap somewhere along the line, for various reasons. Great sound or just plain technical finesse are some. To follow these lines, the SISG should be triggered, and to do that, a RADAR type psu must be used. Charging choke and de-quing diode. Then a SCR is used to short out the majority of the Sidactors sections.
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/sisg/sisg.htm
I have perfected this concept with the added simplicity of using only one IGBT: low voltage, 1080V, and big capacitors, 10-13µF.
A coil like that can do many wonderfull things:
The proof of concept, Ipri=>4500A!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK17-CoB7LE&NR=1
A new one, a twin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcUEk41YaZo
In a more finished state:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0scx1WD3sU

I hope this has been helpfull, and that it was also inspiring!

Cheers, Finn Hammer

so to be simple - how easy will it be to scale his design (SISG) to my coil or will most components need to be upgraded.

Stephen